Do you know that your phone can be ten times as dirty as your toilet seat? During a recent study, it was found that the Corona Virus also known as the COVID-19 virus can live up to nine days on the surface of your beloved phone. We wash and sanitize our hands many times in a day but what about disinfecting our phone?
We usually press the phone to our cheeks while receiving a call. Hence all the viruses and bacteria residing on the surface of the phone can easily permeate your skin through the surface. Hence it is imperative to clean and sanitize your phone to live a healthy life, especially during the Coronavirus pandemic.
In this article, we will discuss the process of cleaning and disinfecting your phone from the deadly virus and bacteria and also from stains like fingerprint smudges, makeup stains, watermark etc.
You will need the below things to proceed:
- A clean microfiber cloth
- ½ Cups distilled water
- ½ cup isopropyl alcohol 70%
- Cotton swabs or wooden toothpicks
- Step 1: unplug your phone and remove the attachments: Switch off your phone and remove it from the power cable. Earphones and chargers need to be cleaned separately
- Step 2: Remove Cases or Covers: Take out the protective cases and covers from your phone. You need to clean them separately before putting them back
- Step 3: Mix distilled water and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol: get hold of a small spray container and mix distilled water and 70% alcohol in a one-to-one ratio
- Step 4: Take a clean microfiber cloth and spray the liquid mixture in this. Do not over-wet the cloth.
- Step 5: Clean your phone: Clean both front and backside of your phone using the microfiber cloth.
- Step 6: Clean small areas: With the help of a toothpick or an earbud clean the small areas of your phone like a camera lens, ports etc.
- Step 7: Air dry your phone completely: Air dry your phone completely for at least 15 minutes before inserting it back into its case
Cleaning a Cell Phone Case:
Cleaning alone a cell phone would not serve the purpose unless the cell phone case is cleaned.
- Prepare a solution of lukewarm water with dishwashing soap. Use a soft cloth to gently wipe the edges. Rinse well and allow to air dry completely before inserting back your phone again.
- Alternately you can also use the same solution of water and isopropyl alcohol that you had prepared for your phone. Dip your microfiber cloth in this solution and clean the cases.
Cleaning Cell Phone accessories:
- Use the same distilled water and isopropyl solution to clean your accessories. Dampen your microfiber cloth lightly and clean the accessories like charger, earphones etc.
- Some chemicals like Whoosh can be used on your phone screens to get rid of the makeup stains
Cleaning the ear buds off your earphone:
A dirty ear bud can be full being full of ear wax, dirt and bacteria. Disconnect the ear bud from your phone or other devices. Use the solution of water and isopropyl alcohol to clean it.
Essential Tips Dos and Don’ts:
- Don’t use window cleaners or kitchen cleaners to clean your phone
- You can use a small ultraviolet light sanitizer.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals and your phone surface as they can strip the coating of your phone and make them vulnerable to scratches.
- Use an anti-microbial cover
- Don’t use makeup remover to clean your phone as it contains harsh chemicals
- Don’t use paper towels as they may leave scratches on your phone
- Clean the earbuds off your earphones regularly to get the best quality sound.
- Use scotch tape for cleaning sand and lint’s.
- Don’t blow an intense amount of compressed air to your phone as it can cause damage.
- Refrain from using abrasive powders, Hydrogen peroxide or Ammonia to clean your phone
- Avoid excess moisture as they can damage your phone
- Clean your phone immediately when stained.
- Do not make an attempt to clean your phone when it is connected to electricity
Clean and sanitize your phone periodically to remove dirt, bacteria and microbes and thus to stay healthy. Also cleaning your phone regularly increases the longevity of your phone. Follow the above steps mentioned to clean your phone.